Saturday, June 09, 2007

Getting Going...

Decluttering...oh, yeah...one room down. Only like 5 more to go. But hey, it's only June. Got all summer.

Got all summer to finish those three books I started as well. Bad habit I have - reading lots of books at once. It's kind of hard to finish one that way. Sigh.

What am I reading?


This Beautiful Mess: Practicing the Presence of the Kingdom of God by Rick McKinley. I read Jesus in the Margins about a year ago and felt I couldn't go wrong with another of his books. I was right. Have many page corners turned down...some pages at both the top and bottom if the front and back of the page have parts I want to remember to come back to...one day.


Oh, then at bedtime I started reading Mandy by Julie Andrews Edwards to my 6 year old. I read Mandy myself when I was probably in 4th grade (yep, a hundred years ago) and have been waiting for just the right night to sneak it into her bedtime routine. See, typically, she prefers to do the reading herself. And while she has many many gifts, listening isn't her specialty. But somehow I caught her by surprise and - BAM - now she's hooked. It's awesome.

So, the third book I have started but not have finished is Narrative of Sojourner Truth by Sojourner Truth with Imani Perry. Read about it on Chris Rice's blog and, being a History Major and all, thought I'd check it out. So far I've only read the timeline in the front of the book. It's been so long since I've studied History or even read much about History - fiction or not - and I was amazed to remember all that took place during her lifetime. Truthfully, the facts and exact dates of historical happenings never seem to stick for long in my mind, but the stories of people who have lived before us fascinate me. And so, I look forward to reading more about another remarkable woman in history.

So there you go...my summer and how it is all starting. How is your summer "getting going"?


:-)

3 comments:

Jeremiah said...

We obviously can't have converastions over lunch anymore, but I can read your blog. Yes! It is kind of strange that we can learn so much about each other without actually talking to one another. Your page looks nice. You'll have to educate me in the ways of the blogger. Good luck with the summer decluttering and the books.

Jeremiah

Anonymous said...

Hey Marianne,

It's great to see you writing again ....also sounds like some good reading for the summer too. I clicked the links to check out "This Beautiful Mess" (sounds kind of like my life ;) ...

I may have to get this book. d

marianne said...

Jeremiah - Blogging is really cool...I think you'll have fun. And I meant to tell you before you left that I'll miss your 20 question interviews - kept me on my toes. :-)

Hey Sonflower - Either one of those books I mentioned by Rick McKinley I think you may like. Hope things are going well for you! :-)