Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Middle Child

Since my oldest daughter gets most of the attention on my blog these days and my youngest daughter gets scads of attention at home the rest of the time, then my middle child - the boy of the house - is due a tribute here and there, every now and then. Besides...he's really nice to his mom.

My son, as some of you know, is a gentle compassionate soul as well as an expert lizard catcher. Really...he's quite famous locally. Well, at least in this neighborhood and the next one over. For catching lizards, that is. He's not actually known so much for the gentle compassionate stuff. That's just a mom thing.

Anyway, he notices and thinks about the most interesting things. What he takes away from a moment or situation is never the standard thought or feeling. Not usually anyway. But before you thinking that I'm going all "deep" on you, let me explain...this is all about Billy Ray Cyrus and his (current) good hair. Really good hair.

You see, my son is destined to be bald. Not just a slight receding hairline or the typical bald spot easily hidden by a backwards baseball cap. Nope...he's gonna have the the kind where the head is actually...hairless. It doesn't matter whose side of the family it stems from...they are all BALD! He really really doesn't stand a chance.

So, of course, when we are in spending an exciting summer afternoon in South Georgia at the local Walmart because it's totally 110 degrees outside, we of course end up in the CD/DVD/Movie/Game/"Anything Else Electronic" Section. And as we are browsing CDs, we pick up the new Billy Ray Cyrus CD, Home At Last. I decide I want to buy it because I've really enjoyed our new "family show" Hannah Montana and I'm curious about his CD.

The boy of the house appears beside me looking at the CD. He wants to hold it, look at it closer. He stares at it intently for about 15 seconds, hands it back and says, "He's got really good hair for a Dad. When I am a Dad, I want hair like THAT. It's not fair." He laughs a little at himself and walks back over to the video games trying to hold on tight to the the time he has left with his thick wavy 11 year old head of hair.

Fast forward about a month to middle school band tryouts. Another mom and I talk to pass the time. She shares that her daughter mentioned that my son is really kind, is a good friend and that he has REALLY GOOD HAIR.

Some day, before the big fallout occurs, I'll have to share that with him.

:-)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that's the story...

He sounds like a cute kid.

marianne said...

Yep...the story was just too long to leave in a comment on your blog! :-) Plus, it wasn't really a "story" until the band tryouts conversation...it made it all come together. Funny.

All of our kids are cute!!! At any age...really.

:-)

Unknown said...

I wish my mom had a story like that for me...I could have used it too.

Sonflower :-) said...

:P Ode to the Middle Child!
I can relate...and tell him not to worry about losing that great hair...there is so much more to him!

How's the cd?

marianne said...

The CD...is very enjoyable. The first song is for Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana and it's everyone's favorite. My WHOLE family wants to listen to that one.

The rest of the CD pretty much only I listen to. Number 4, Flying By, is my favorite.

My son like Stand which is the bonus track I think...Miley Cyrus sings background. :-)

Check it out though...he has a version of Brown Eyed Girl that's fun and You've Got a Friend which...takes you back.

Sonflower :-) said...

Sounds like a good one to check out!