Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Calgon, Take Me Away...

Don't know what it is but, this week, I feel like the lady from the 70's (?) bubble bath commercial for Calgon. Remember (and if you don't just keep reading anyway) the lady squishing her eyes closed, rubbing her temples and trying to shut out the 85 things simultaneously going on around her? A few of the 85 things were shown in like little video clips all around and above her head: the dog barking, the little kid crying, the doorbell ringing...what else? Anyway, normal stuff but it was just one of those days and she exclaimed, "Calgon, Take Me Away"...and you instantly see her relaxed and beautiful in a tub full of bubbles. Not only does she seem more lovely, but her surroundings are peaceful and perfect. I remember her smile.

Funny but I always wondered what was going on around her house while she was sitting in that tub and if...it was going to be worth it to leave it all unattended for a 20 bubble bath. And I was still a kid.

Reminds me that, as a joke, (one that didnt' make me laugh) my brother sent me a box of Calgon Crystals for Christmas a few years ago (see the pink box). My life was a little messy around the edges - oh yeah, and with a gigantic crack running right down the middle - and I think he was trying to make me smile. I think. But I was in too big of a daze to enjoy the humor back then.

That box is long gone, but boy...what I would give to have that box of itchy nose smelling bath crystals tonight. Glad for the memory though and I'm thinking it's probably not too late to laugh about it now.

So see, I'm smiling and I don't need to be sitting in perfectly peaceful bubble bath to mean it.

:-)

No comments: