Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Good Day

For a day that started rather sadly (my little girl didn't want me to leave this morning) it turned out just swell.

She cheered up and chatted with me on the phone this afternoon. When I got home there was chocolate icing all over the kitchen and tiny spot of it still on her cheek.

Later on, I woke up my older two from their computer trances and made them interact with me. Although the air was awkward and uncomfortable for about 3 minutes, their brain cells soon reactivated and they found a full deck of cards. We sat outside and played Spit and some other game that was a lot like Spit only supposedly different.

The sun was still out. There was a breeze. Little kids were running around squealing. It was so nice that I forgot about making dinner.

I don't know that the chocolate, the cards, the breeze or the squeals would have meant anything to me if I hadn't had such an awfully hard time leaving home this morning. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Not sure what that means but I am very very thankful for all the ways I'm reminded that God is with me through thick and thin.

I knew that was true when I backed out the driveway this morning but I really didn't feel it. I knew that was true when my co-worker and friend asked if my little one was sad and I cried, but I really didn't feel it. I knew that was true when another friend dropped by the office this afternoon and talked about her son who is serving in Iraq, and I began to feel it.

But it took coming home again and soaking up the details of the late afternoon to chase away my blues completely. In the midst of all the craziness and seemly unavoidable chaos and confusion, my home is a pretty warm and happy one. And it has extremely little to do with me and everything to do with a loving and faithful God.

Night. :-)

No comments: