Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Sleeping In is for Sissies

At least that is what I am telling myself this afternoon. The last day of school. But I don't think that reverse psychology thing works too well on yourself. I'm not so sure it works on anyone actually. Especially on kids. They are way too smart to fall for hogwash like that.

Anyway, I'm writing about sleeping in, not reverse psychology. And I'm not writing about my kids this time. It's all about me. And sleeping.

So, summer is here. And I start a new job in less than two weeks. So for the first time in years, I won't plod through the blistering hot summer days alongside my kids. I won't wake up with one or two of them next to me in bed and offer to read books or tell them to stop tickling me because I want to sleep a little longer.

Nope, this summer I'll wake up at 6:00 a.m. and hit the snooze bar for 30 more minutes. I'll jump out of bed and shake the tangles out of my hair as I run to the playroom, put the dog on the leash and drag him through the yard saying, "Hurry up, Buddy. Hurry Up". This summer at 6:45 a.m. I'll pour my breakfast of Diet Coke, iron whatever I can find that is clean and take my typical extremely fast morning shower. That's the one where I usually end up with three or four cuts from extremely fast shaving. Which is why I avoid new razors like the plague. This summer at 7:45 a.m., I'll run through the house like a crazy woman picking up and swiffering before the babysitter shows up at 8:15. Hopefully I'll remember to feed the dog somewhere in the middle of all of that.

Will I miss driving my taxi around town all summer long on those blistering hot days? Will I miss being Cruise Director to a boat carrying hot, unhappy and whiney passengers on those same sweaty days? Not much. Okay, maybe a little.

I will, however, miss sleeping in. Tons. No more lazing around until 9:30. No more pulling my hair into a ponytail and slowly sipping my Diet Coke while reading and replying to emails with the sound effects of cartoons in the background. Boo Hoo.

So in an effort to deal, I adjusted my thinking. From this day forward, in my view of the world and its people, Sleeping In is for Sissies. (And for teenagers who are extremely brave and wornout from late nights of MTV watching). Being far from a teenager and absolutely being no sissy...no more sleeping in for me.

It's really that simple. Done deal. Probably won't even need that snooze bar now.

No, definitely not. I'll be well rested. Because aside from bringing to light the whole Sleeping/Sissy Philosophy I will be implementing another new personal custom I now refer to as "Napping is Noble".

No comments: