Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Great Idea

Once I re-entered the blogosphere (again), it didn't take too long for me to check out Kat's blog. And just in time for an amazing idea she is presenting of a 40 day fast for her friends and readers in an effort to "take a long term stand against poverty."

For 40 days beginning on June 22nd, 40 bloggers will fast one day each and on that day will blog about a need, nation or cause and an organization addressing that need, nation or cause somewhere around the world. On each of the 40 days, all bloggers will post a link on their blog to the "fasting blogger" of that day. Kat then encourages everyone (including you!) to participate in fasting on the 40th day.

At first I only intended to follow along and then fast with everyone on July 31st, the 40th day. However, a song and a subsequent post by Kat inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and fully join in (I think I’m on her list!)

In her song, You Are the Sun, Sara Groves sings,

And I am the moon with no light of my own
Still you have made me to shine
And as I glow in this cold dark night
I know I can't be a light unless I turn my face to you

I listened to this song a few days ago and, although it wasn’t the first time I’d heard it, it was the first time it stuck with me in a way that felt something like, “So Marianne, when are you going to let God’s light shine through you…when are you just going to look Him face to face and let it happen?”

Then Kat mentioned using our blogs for something outside of ourselves and I knew what I wanted to do. How I wanted to start looking God face to face. How I wanted to start to shine.

Maybe these connections make no sense to you. That’s okay. But I’m going with it and I’m pretty certain in my own scattered way that it’s the beginning of something pretty exciting.

:-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may have to start a blog so that I can participate.

I think it's an amazing idea...and I love Sara's song...

I'm sure I could come up with something to blog. ;)

marianne said...

I'm very sure that you could and I think that is a GREAT idea! :-)

Anonymous said...

How about this for service...

Check out sonflowersarebright.blogspot.com

The Secret Life of Kat said...

Marianne,
I'm just glad you're back in the blogosphere.
:)

Sonflower,
We'd love to have you join us!