Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Before

Here we are just 5 days into the 40 Day Fast (About something other than us) only this post is going to be about me.

Before the 40 Day Fast, I
  • Didn't think twice about burning two pieces of toast, tossing them into the garbage and then trying one more time (but today I did)
  • Never thought to start my day with a glass of cold water instead of downing a can of Diet Coke before I was even awake enough to taste it or to decide if I really wanted it (but yesterday I did)
  • Blew through the grocery store grabbing our typical items without much thought, and ended up with way more junk food than real food much to my kids' happiness (but next time I'll slow down and shop smarter maybe)
And that's not all.

Each day I read another post and a string of comments that are totally changing me. Not just moving my heart, because that was already in a pretty good starting place. But it's all slowly invading my thoughts, my habits, my lifestyle, my lazy ways. Whatever amount of compassion I felt, no matter how strong, it didn't stand a chance when everything else about me was shouting, "No, not you. Not yet."

It is finally sinking in. Each one of us can make a difference. Each little bit counts. Each small thing helps. In fact, each small thing seems crucial. I didn't get that before...or didn't believe it. But now I do.

Which, now, makes this post totally about something other than me. And that's what it's all about.




3 comments:

Sonflower :-) said...

It's good to reflect. We take so much for granted.

kddub said...

that is awesome. I feel the same way, and I hope this has changed the way I view living my life forever. I don't want to stop caring, and stop noticing my waste. In some ways I truly believe that once you see the need, and ingest the numbers, it becomes apart of you, and you have to do something about it. I think it changes you.

marianne said...

Been reflecting a lot this past week. I'm hoping it will be absolutely impossible to look the other way or stop caring now.

Thanks for commenting, kddub. :-)